Miss Something? Search it here!

Friday, January 22, 2010

Friday Feature, Plus.......

Ah, the joy of Friday. As if Fridays weren't sweet enough, I am managing to make it even better. Introducing our newest series, Friday Feature. Each friday either Jill or I will bring you the best find or finds of our week whether it is a bag, shoes, a dress, anything is fair game! So enjoy and TGIF!

Friday Feature: Worthy Causes

So, today was definitely not one of the best days of my life. Actually, the past week has been somewhat of my own personal horror story. But, my issues pale in comparison to the situations of many living in impoverished and underdeveloped countries. Particularly, I feel for the people of Haiti who have suffered such great tragedy in the recent natural disasters. So for our very first Friday Feature, I would like to speak about worthy causes.

So many nations are suffering economically, politically, and in relation to natural disasters. Any way that you can help--donating items to red cross, collecting money, or hosting a charity event--provides hope to those people.

That being said, I'm going to place a (shameless) plug for our school's charity event, Dance for Darfur. As many of you know, African countries have had many political wars started over the years. Darfur, a region in Sudan, is no different, and the genocide is current. My school is looking to support victims of this tragedy by hosting a dance competition. All money raised will be going to the Michigan Darfur Coalition and Save Darfur. If you would like any information or more details on the event, shoot me an email or comment below. Any support will help the victims greatly and this event is a win-win situation. Not only does money go to charities to aid Darfur, but you get to enjoy a great show and help a worthy cause.

I hope this got you thinking and I hope you too find the inspiration to help!

Designers to Watch and Take Cues from
Partie trois: Jordi Labanda

Quirky and super cute are the first words that came to mind when I saw some of  Urguay born Jordi Labanda's work. I love him for his crazy umbrellas with a chic yet interestingly whimsical look and vibrant colors. He's also had books of images and fashion text published which is a fantastic feat for a designer--they're always so busy! And, not only does he write books, illustrate, and design apparel and accessories, but, he has his own candle and stationary line as well.

His line appeals to a younger generation of fashionistas but nonetheless, it has a certain je ne sais quoi, a certian youthful charm, I guess.

Here are a few photos from his various lines...



Mr. Labanda himself, one of Jordi's original umbrellas, a specially designed motorola phone, an original Jordi Labanda wallet.


No comments:

Post a Comment