Miss Something? Search it here!

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Take It From a Deacon and Elise Makes an Announcement....









Here you see the fabulous cut out dress and some of the other quirks Deacon plays into his work for SS 2010. How much do you love the number to the far right?


Yes, take it from a deacon. Giles Deacon to be exact. Surely you were afraid that this was about to turn into church fashion 101. Relax, it's just one of the best designers showcased at Paris fashion week for the spring summer collections.

In case you're wondering (as, in fact, I've never clearly or explicitly made this point), fashion week for SS lines is in September and fashion week for FW lines is in February. The New York version, in which Kim Kardashian will be showcasing her line for Bebe (why at fashion week? It doesn't belong there! Go do it at a store opening!) begins in 20 days! February 11th is kick off so keep it here for all of the exciting events and my practice on every big name designer's front row.

Sorry for the tangent! Anyway, his line is eccentric. He uses many statement pieces including an interesting plastic-y skirting and bold, bold cutouts. Despite the crazy, though, his line is the epitome of European chic. What's most interesting about Deacon, though, is his choice of models. Models aren't your typical "pretty" as their job is to simply showcase the looks while being increadibly and heartbreakingly fabulous...and thin. And though Deacon's models fit this stereotype, the looked older. This boggled my mind as most models have careers that end circa age 25. I loved that about him though. It showed me that he can make clothes for a girl my age and for a woman much older than myself and they can work on both of us. It's up to the buyer, of course, to make it age appropriate.

Deacon also has quite an impressive resume. He has worked for Tom Ford, Bottega Veneta, Louis Vuitton, Ralph Lauren, Jean-Charles de Castelbajac, and Gucci.

I'm sincerely looking forward to his fashion week creations. Oh how I wish I could be there, in Paris, opening the lavish and oh-so talked about gift bags, which have actually become increasingly less lavish as our economy continues to fail us and fails to fuel our incessant need to shop. I also wish I could be at Mercedes-Benz Fashion week in Bryant Park, but I guess i'll just have to get my fashion fix from video coverage on style.com. Regardless, it sounds like a week of glamour and fun and exactly the environment I would like to be immersed in every minute of everyday of my entire life.

That being said, I have decided to apply for a few magazine internships for this upcoming summer in NYC. Hopefully, i'll at the very least get an interview for one, which would make my entire life. I don't just love fashion, I love culture and writing, and a good challenge. Wish me luck on this endeavor!

More photos from Mr. Deacon



A chic knit frock will prove to be a girl's best friend this summer! I love its beachy-ness!


An example of a concept that could work both on a younger or older woman.




Photos courtesy of google images. Oh, how I love google!

No comments:

Post a Comment