Miss Something? Search it here!

Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Winterizing Your Closet

I realize that although it is not technically that season, winter already seems as if it is in full swing! It came soooo quickly. I have tons and tons of pieces in my wardrobe that I'm dying to wear, but are impractical due to the cold and especially windy weather that I've been experiencing lately. What's a girl to do?

Well,  slews of girls have been wrapping up in fleeces and Ugg boots. Unfortunate. There's so much you can do to put together a creative and polished look and keep a great piece going year round without screaming "freezing teenage girl!". Here's how:

1) Keep with the neutrals. Neutrals include cream, black, navy, brown, tan, taupe, cream, gray, and variations of colors in those same families. Neutral bottoms and sweaters can help to mellow out a somewhat bright or floral top. Plus, it lets your summery pieces add a pop of color to the bland weather conditions.

2) I know your skin color isn't what it used to be, a cruel reality of a four-season climate. But you can still accentuate the undertones of your skin. How? Sometimes it's hard to pick colors that bring out your skin tone especially if you can't really pick out the undertones. My suggestion, use metallics. Gold and bronze are a great way to show off darker complexions, as metallic grays, pewters, and silvers are for those of us who are pale, as I am. Metallics are also great ways to add color and shine to holiday pieces.

4. Accessorize. When I say this, I am warning you: DO NOT GO OVERBOARD! To paraphrase a Coco Chanel quote, always take one thing off before you go out to keep from overdoing it. Accessorize with scarves, neutral bags, and some bright, but not obnoxious jewelry. This keeps an outfit from getting too bland. Be careful with the scarves. One that's too chunky could add some weight that's not even there and one thats too thin or tied incorrectly could give a poor silhouette. Keeping it neutral helps you when incorporating summer pieces.

5. Try out a hat. I never thought I looked good in them, but one day I was just compelled to try one on. I did and I loved it. I bought it in cream so it incorporates well with a lot of the pieces I already have.

6. One last thing: tights. I know, I know, tights have been in for a while and they're great, what's new? Nothing. I just think they're great and add wearability to a summery dress or slightly short skirt without making you suffer through the chills, ice, wind, and snow winter brings about.

I hope this was helpful to you all. Any questions or comments are welcome, as always! I encourage you to try out some of these ideas, but maybe not all at once....trend overkill is one of the biggest fashion don'ts, EVER. And please note that not every look will work for everyone so only do what's best for you.

Stay warm!

xoxo Elise

1 comment: